Is fatigue costing your business?
Fatigue can be a hidden risk in the workplace, costing businesses millions of dollars a year. According to the Sleep Health Foundation, it is estimated that 7.4 million Australian adults do not regularly get the sleep they need, resulting in productivity losses of $17.9 billion.
Lack of sleep significantly reduces productivity within the workplace through absenteeism, presenteeism and decreased engagement. This also increases the risk of errors and injury in the workplace.
Fatigue can impact those who:
- Sleep fewer hours than recommended (due to work and/or personal factors)
- Shift work
- Frequently work extended hours
- Travel for work
- Work multiple jobs
Things you can do to reduce the likelihood of fatigue in the workplace include:
- Fatigue training (Click here to see our online courses)
- Self-checking tools (Click here to read more about our Fatigue Safe App)
- Ensure adequate rostering principles
- Introduce flexible working hours